Often many people consider sniffles as contagious. In some cases, people assume that sniffles are caused by severe allergic reactions and they feel like getting urgent treatment form an allergist near me. But, in reality this is found to be a wrong assumption. They are not contagious at all. There is subtle difference between the symptoms shown by allergies and cold. Understanding these differences can equip you well in understanding the treatment procedure opted by an allergy doctor near me. It may also help in managing the difficult situation that may arise by misunderstanding the real disease and its causes.
What is cold?
Cold or common cold is a virus. According to scientists there are more than 100 types of cold viruses. Depending upon the virus involved in a particular case of cold, its severity of symptoms may vary considerably. Now let us consider some of the basic characteristics of common cold.
- Sore throat, coughs, runny nose, stuffy nose etc are the common symptoms shown by cold.
- Cold is spread through air and through touching.
- Itchy eyes, sneezing etc are some other less common symptoms
- Body aches and fevers are usual in severe colds.
- Recover yis faster and normally takes not more than 7-10 days.
- If symptoms persist it would become an infection.
- Allergic people are more prone to colds.
- One can catch cold any time of the year. According NIAID an average healthy individual can catch cold two or three times a year.
- Children may catch cold more than this because of their weaker system of immunity.
What is allergy?
According to an allergist near me, allergy is a medical condition caused in the human body by adverse reaction caused by body’s immune system considering simple substances as dangerous substances. When body comes into contact with the allergens like dust, mold, pollen etc body shows severe reactions as a result of release of chemicals known as histamines.
Important facts about allergies
- Symptoms like sneezing, coughing, sore throat, runny nose etc similar to the symptoms of cold are shown by allergy patients.
- Rashes and itchy eyes are produced by allergy.
- Seasonal allergies as well as year round allergies also exist.
- Body pain and fever is common in allergy.
- Pollen, dust, animal dander, dairy products, mold, etc are some common allergens.
Though the symptoms of cold and allergies are strikingly similar, they represent two separate health conditions. Knowing them in detail by an allergy doctor Manassas VA can help him to differentiate between them and find out the real problem. If any of these symptoms are not improving your doctor should be informed and special care and study has to be conducted to understand the cause and find a solution.